Tenant Check List
When you are looking for a new place to live, there can be a lot to organise and remember. Asking the questions below will help you choose the place that?s best for you, your budget and your lifestyle.
Questions to ask:
- When is the property available?
- Is it a fixed-term tenancy or a periodic tenancy?
- Is it close to transport, Shops, Schools/Colleges?
- How many people are allowed to live in the property?
- Is there a garage or on-street parking?
- Are pets allowed?
- What's the neighbourhood like?
- Does the landlord have any references?
- What is the best way to contact the landlord?
- Found the place that's right for you?
Make sure you and your landlord:
complete a thorough property inspection and note any damage in the property inspection report (part of the Tenancy Agreement)
complete a Tenancy Agreement, write in any conditions that you both agree on, and each keep a copy
organise how you will pay the rent (e.g. automatic payment or direct debit)
Before you move in:
- Find out when rubbish and recycling is collected.
- Connect the gas, electricity and phone.
- Tell your doctor, dentist, workplace, gym, bank, children?s schools, friends and family that you are moving.
- Organise your mail to be redirected by the post office.